Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thing 11: Finding Good Feeds

Okee doke Thing 11 is more about RSS readers and finding feeds and blogs to follow, specifically zoning in on various search tools for locating blogs. We've got Google blogsearch, Topix, and Technorati. I'm not subscribed to any education-related blogs just yet, so I'm going to search for elementary educators with helpful blogs and see what each search engine yields. I'll be back in a few to report my findings. While you wait with great anticipation, please enjoy this comic:



Right off the bat I like Google Blogsearch. I did a search for "elementary educators" and immediately found National Journal: Education Experts. I'm definitely going to keep up with this one. As an aspiring teacher, it's important to keep up with current events in education. Google Blogsearch works exactly like an ordinary Google search, only it brings up blogs for you instead of, you know, everything. Very user friendly, I give it a 10 out of 10!

I'm not sure why Topix was listed...as far as what I gather from the webpage, it contains news, popular topics and forums, but is not a place to search for blogs. I mean..I could maybe see myself visiting this page...maybe...or maybe not. It gets a 3 out of 10 for effort.

Technorati doesn't make any sense to me. I did a search for "elementary educators" and this crap is the only thing that came up in the results. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist? This site gets a 1 out of 10..only because it's a website. 

I still think my favorite way to locate new feeds and blogs is to do a search in Blogger. It's quick, effective and puts the site right where I need it. 

Question of the Day: How do you find new blogs to read?

3 comments:

  1. I found the blogs that I read through either Facebook or Google. Just typing into the Google search engine what I am looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find blogs on Facebook, MySpace, and just typing in blogs on Google search and a lot of blogging websites come up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete