Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Thing 10: Set Up an RSS Reader and Add Feeds

Alright so Thing 10 introduced me to something new! RSS (Really simply syndication) reader! I can view blogs I want to follow on one web page, rather than having to manually go to each website and check for updates. Pretty sweet!!! What's even better? I don't have to sign up for one since I already have a Google account. Is there anything you can't do with Google?? Per the assignment, I need to subscribe to at least 5 blogs. Not a problem! I enjoy cooking so I found a few that involve family-friendly recipes. Since I'm a mature adult, I also added a few daily comics :) I also added a few fellow students who I have already checked out. 

So Thing 10 asked me if I would do a brief interview now that I'm educated on RSS readers. I happily obliged!

Thing 10: What do you like about RSS and newsreaders?

Me: Well, I ♥LOVE♥ that I can see all these updates in one convenient spot. This opens up the opportunity for me to learn things I may not have stumbled upon on my own.

Thing 10: How do you think you might be able to use this technology in your school or personal life?

Me:Well I love to cook and enjoy trying out new recipes for myself and my family. I've already found a few good blogs to help me with that! As for my school life, I could connect with other college students around my age to get advice on study tips, balancing family and school, etc.. 

Thing 10: How can teachers use RSS or take advantage of this new technology?

Me: I feel as though this would be more useful on a high school or college level. A teacher could assign students to write a blog about a particular subject, then use an RSS reader to keep track of their students. Parents could even get involved at that point, subscribing to the students' blogs. It could also be used on a larger, school-wide level to keep teachers, parents and staff up-to-date on what's going on in the school.

Thing 10: Thank you so much for your time, Alana! That will be all for this evening.

Me: Any time!

Question of the Day: If I started writing a cooking blog, who would follow it?  

6 comments:

  1. I would follow it AND pin it on Pinterest :) I am always up for new and good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I love cooking (Ha I think I've mentioned that before) so I'd considered starting a cooking blog a while back. Now that I know how easy it is, I may just start one tomorrow. I'll let you know...because dinner tomorrow night is enchiladas!

      Delete
  2. I would definitely follow it! U think of great ideas and unique recipes also healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to follow ur wonderful and healthy recipes! I might also pin it on my pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha OMG Alana your so funny! Your blogs are badass! I don't know how you make it so cool! lol :)

    ReplyDelete