Sunday, October 7, 2012

Thing 12: Google is Not Just for Searching Anymore

Alright so Thing 12 shows us some of the awesome things you can do with Google!! Yay! So for this assignment, we will be exploring two awesome Google tools:Google Calendar and Google Translate.

Google Calendar: So I already use this tool, so let me tell you about how awesome it is! You visit http://www.google.com/calendar and that is where you will sign it. If you don't already have a Google account, I highly recommend signing up for one. It's free and...well it's awesome! Anyhoo, so you can set up reminders on your calendar and it links with your phone (provided you have an Andoid phone. Although I'm sure you can link it with an iPhone or Windows Mobile OS as well). You can set up various types of reminders, including a pop-up on your phone and/or a text message. You can set numerous reminders and set how far ahead of schedule they go off. I absolutely LIVE off Google Calendar! No joke! I would not be able to keep track of all my bills, doctor appointments for me and the kids, etc. if I didn't have that reminder on my phone. 

Google Translate: This is actually a tool which I have not previously utilized. So let's take a field trip to http://www.google.com/translate! Holy cow! This site is SUPER user friendly! Just type in the phrase you want to translate (you don't even necessarily have to select which language it is! Google Translate will detect it for you!) and then pick the language to translate it to and BAM! You can sound super smart to your friends! 

Ok, since this is a blog for an education class, let's discuss the potential uses for these tools in the classroom. Google Calendar has some obvious uses. It would be very useful in keeping track of class events as well as personal goings on. As for Google Translate, well America is very quickly becoming a bi-lingual country. I plan to teach second grade, and I think it would be fun to perhaps have a Spanish word of the day. It could also be useful in teaching a student whose first language is something other than English. It's also fun just to sit around and play with!

Question of the Day: How do you feel about Google Translate being used in the classroom?

8 comments:

  1. I think its wonderful for children to learn different languages so they could understand things about other countries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I really think kids need to be taught to appreciate cultures other than their own.

      Delete
  2. It would be good for kids to learn different languages and could be fun !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We could make games and activities involving different languages too!

      Delete
  3. Google translate-- I think Googe Translate would be a great resource to use in the class room. I have an almost 5 yr old that asks question like, "Momma, what does hombre mean? Dora just said it!" I go directly to Google Translate to peep the answer. If it weren't for Google Translate, I could never have my child thinking that I am the most brilliant, Spanish speaking 1/2 breed there is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha oh and we absolutely can't let our kids think we don't know everything! I never even though about using it for that lol but that's great!

      Delete
  4. Its the smartest thing to use finally in school. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to figure shit out and all that. So, I would have to agree with them doing that now for the kids and students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that using google translate would be a great resource to use in a classroom. I think that it would be really fun to do a pen pale activity and have the students translate their letters.

    ReplyDelete