Friday, September 21, 2012

Thing 7: Explore Flickr

Thing 7: Flickr!

So Thing 7 wants me to explore Flickr, which if you didn't already read Thing 6 (UMMM why haven't you?), Flickr is one of the Web 2.0 app winners! So I'm reading a little about it before signing up; did you know that Flickr is one of the first websites to use keyword "tags" for photos? Pretty cool! So Thing VII wants me to explore Flickr, learn what tags are, learn about groups and all the "neat things" that people are using Flickr for. So come on! Let's take a field trip to Flickr!

The first thing I notice that I ♥LOVE♥ is that I can use my Google account to sign in. I do not like having to sign up for extra stuff (free or not) if it's not necessary, so this is great! Now that I'm signed in, I guess it's time to personalize my profile. I have to make a buddy icon...hmmm...I think I'll leave that as is. Create a custom URL..done. Basic information..done. Sign up process is pretty painless. Now to upload some photos! I've chosen today to upload a few old photos of my mother (may her beautiful soul rest in peace) as well as one of her parents. This is a user-friendly interface, so I imagine even those who aren't technologically gifted will have an easy time navigating.

Ok so to the assignment. What in the world are "tags" and why should I care? I guess tagging your pictures is a way to categorize them so others can find them. For example, I did a search for "baby" and came up with baby animals and people alike. I guess that's useful if you upload photos for the public to see, but I plan to use Flickr for friends and family. Which brings me to groups. I'm not part of a group because I don't know anyone who uses Flickr just yet, but I'll handle that another day.

Now I need to search for a tag I'm interested in,find a cool picture and blog about it. I'm looking for holly hawks (mom's favorite flower). I like this one! I love the deep shade of pinkish purple and I'm sure mom would've loved it too. Mike Grauer, Jr. is the photographer who took this image, by the way. Can't put his work on here without giving him credit!

This is my photo stream, the web address is http://www.flickr.com/photos/alana_j Go check it out; I only have 5 photos on there so far but I'll work on it.

Question of the Day: Who is willing to join Flickr and be my friend?? Haha also, what is your favorite way to share photos?

4 comments:

  1. Idk if I want to join Flickr, lol. But I like to share photos on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually miss picture albums. I realize that internet sharing is a good, inexpensive way to share photos, but it makes it terribly impersonal. A good photo album is something you can show a person individually, explain the pictures, and relive those moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I agree! The only thing that I think makes the digital age of photos better is it's almost impossible to lose them. You can have them backed up in more than one place, whereas I lost 3 important photo albums of mine in the process of moving at some point and I'm still upset about it!

      Delete
  3. My most favorite way to share photos would have to be photobucket. It would be my favorite cuz i can share any photo that i like and share it anywhere i would like to put it up at!

    ReplyDelete