Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thing 8: Flickr Mashups

Thing 8: Flickr Mashups: So I get to have more fun with Flickr! Since I previous had zero experience with Flickr, I had absolutely no idea what a mashup was. After some minor research, a mashup is basically taking two applications and merging them together. One example is Clockr, which uses random photos to display the time. Pretty cool stuff!

So on to the assignment! I need to browse the Mashups and create something. I decided to investigate Clockr. The instructions are simple enough: you click on the number to create the image it displays. I am personally not impressed..I couldn't get the hour numbers to change and I was hoping for more variety. That said, I don't know what all it takes to create an application, so please don't take this as me downing the creator. But I did take a screenshot of the clock I "created".


It's kinda spiffy I guess.

So the next question is how I could use Flickr or Flickr Mashups in my future classroom. I personally don't think I'd use any of the Mashups. As for Flickr..well that's a touchy subject. While it would be fun to get pictures of the students in the classroom and put them on Flickr for their parents to see, I could see a potential problem if predators manage to get to the site and see the pictures. For now, I'm leaning toward a "no" on that one.

Question of the Day! How do you feel about
Flickr being utilized in classrooms in the future?

5 comments:

  1. To answer your question, I would be very apprehensive of my sons pic being on Flickr. However, his face is all over my Facebook so who's to say that some predator couldn't get on there and see the pics posted.

    Depending on the age group and grades being taught depends on if it would be Okay with me.

    I think your clock is pretty NEAT-O! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I was thinking the same thing. It may be more appropriate for high schoolers than elementary school. I'd rather stick to taking photos then posting them in the classroom for parents to see when they visit.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. To be honest, idk if it would be necessary for school. Maybe only to show and let people know more about you, such as, places you've been etc. Or maybe it could be used for a project or fun activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was thinking that IF it was used in elementary school, maybe just to show a fun field trip that the students had or something. The legality issue would come into play..I imagine to get around it (since the children are minors), there would have to be written permission obtained from the parents.

      Delete
  3. I would agree because i know there r kids out there that do better with a hands on type of thing. That would be one of the best ways seeing how i use to be one of those kids and was wishing they would do stuff like that for us. So yea i highly agree with that about flickr in school to help them with hands on.

    ReplyDelete